Every summer growing up – my mom made a blueberry peach crisp that was pretty much THE most amazing thing in the whole wide world. I have taken on the tradition… I just changed up the ingredients for the 4th of July. Enter Emily’s Fourth of July berry crisp recipe. 🙂
The best thing about crisps is that they’re SUPER easy to make. Once you get the hang of them – you really can’t go wrong. I have said it SO many times before but I am a HORRIBLE baker. I don’t do the whole directions thing. That being said – crisps are my jam. Once you’ve made one – you can eyeball any subsequent ones you make – I promise!
I also love crisps – because you can seriously just use whatever fruit is freshest at the moment. I’ll probably go to the farmer’s market next week, find whatever looks best, and use that! Also – I know that many people have been wondering – what is the difference between a cobbler, a crumble, and a crisp. Well – after much internet research — here is the answer. *** Cobblers have a more dough like topping. Crumbles have a topping of flour, butter and sugar. Crisps incorporate oats or nuts in addition to the crumble topping. So there you go!***
Shop The Post:
Emily’s 4th of July Berry Crisp Recipe:
Berry Crisp Ingredients:
- 2 cups of raspberries
- 2 cups of blueberries
- 1 cup of blackberries
- 1 cup strawberries
- *** You can use frozen berries too if you’d like, just be sure you thaw them.***
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup flour (if you are making this recipe GF – I substituted coconut flour and it was absolutely delicious)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (you can omit this – but it makes the filling nice and thick)
- sprinkle of cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
Topping: This is for a double batch. I like to add more when heat it up – if I’m not serving it immediately – so I always like to have extra topping on hand!
- 2 cups of rolled oats – (you can use GF or regular)
- 1 cup flour (if you are making this recipe GF – sub coconut flour)
- 1.5 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup cold butter cut into small cubes
- salt – to taste
- cinnamon – to taste
Berry Crisp Recipe Directions:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease the inside of a 9×13 or 10×14 baking dish (I linked a couple that are much cheaper than the ones that we have – and the one with the bamboo traveling tray – GAME CHANGER)
- Rinse all berries
- Gently mix all filling ingredients together in a large bowl
- Pour filling ingredients into the cake dish
- Now make the topping
- Mix all the dry ingredients
- Then incorporate the cold butter cubes and knead the mixture with your hands. This takes a second – so be patient – and be sure to take your rings off before you do this part!
- Sprinkle the topping mixture liberally over the berry mixture
- Bake at 350 degrees for an hour!
- Serve warm – with homemade whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
- Don’t forget a sprig of mint – it is the perfect fresh accompaniment!
- You can also make this recipe in individual ramekins – for a real show stopper – if you are entertaining at home! I LOVE to make it that way. 🙂
Other Recipes You May Love:
- Lemon Garlic Kale Salad
- Make Ahead Breakfast Casserole
- Greek Turkey Burgers
- Egg White Bites
- Slow Cooker Carnitas & Spicy Grapefruit Margs
- Healthy Chicken Fajita Soup