A couple weeks ago we had some friends over for dinner and we made my mom’s tamari marinated flank steak. My girlfriend, Lauren, is GF and she isn’t super fond of red meat, so I wanted to have an amazing GF alternative for her. Plus – whenever people come over for dinner, I always like to have options. That is how this recipe was born.
I pretty much took the same marinade that my mom has used for her flank steak (legitimately since I was a kid) and just threw it in with chicken in the crock pot. I added a little five spice. I threw in some honey for sweetness. I put in a squeeze of siracha – because for whatever reason adding siracha to anything the crock pot is just magic.
DELICIOUS – Gluten Free Crock Pot Tamari Glazed Chicken.
I love this recipe because it tastes like you were slaving in the kitchen for hours. In reality the longest part of this recipe is going to your pantry to gather the materials. That is MY kind of recipe.
I also love that it is a SUPER easy GF recipe. I have so many friends and family members who have gluten allergies… so I love having a good GF recipe arsenal. I also always feel better when I eat gluten free, so really it’s win win for me as well. Lastly, I LOVE that you can make it SUPER healthy depending on what you put it over. It’s amazing over rice… but we eat it mostly over shredded cabbage. It would also be delicious over cauliflower rice!
Gluten Free Crock Pot Tamari Glazed Chicken:
Serves 8 – and makes AMAZING leftovers
6-8 large boneless skinless chicken breasts (just depends on how much you want to make)
1 cup tamari
1 cup honey
6-8 garlic cloves diced
1 onion chopped
1 tbsp fresh, grated ginger (you can omit if you don’t like ginger or if you don’t have it)
1 tbsp siracha
1 tsp chinese five spice (you can omit if you don’t have)
2 tbsp GF hoisin sauce (you can omit if you don’t have)
2 tbsp seasme oil
2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup chicken stock
1 tbsp GF cornstarch – and a little water for mixing
Green onions (chopped for garnish)
Sesame Seeds (for garnish as well)
Shredded cabbage or Rice (to serve the chicken over – it’s however heathy you are feeling at the moment!)
- Place chicken breasts in the bottom of the crock pot.
- In a mixing bowl, combine tamari, honey, garlic, onion, hoisin, siracha, five spice, sesame oil, rice vinegar, and chicken stock. Mix with a whisk. Pour the mixture over the chicken breasts.
- Put on the crock pot lid and cook then chicken on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours. I know that everyone says you should cook crock pot recipes on the low setting, but TBH I always cook on high because I never have my $hit together enough to start the crock pot at 8am. (JUST SAYIN) And this recipe still tastes DELICIOUS.
- Once the chicken is done, remove the chicken from the crock pot and shred with two forks. I usually just do this on a large cutting board. Set aside.
- In a small ramekin, combine 2 tbsp cornstarch with 2 tbsp of cold water. Add this mixture to the tamari cooking liquid. The corn starch will thicken up the sauce nicely.
- Add the shredded chicken back in and stir to combine.
- Let the chicken marinate and cook in the sauce (on low) for another half hour.
- Plate over shredded cabbage, rice, cauliflower rice, spinach – you name it – this chicken will taste good on it!
- Top with green onion and sesame seeds!
This Gluten Free Crock Pot Tamari Glazed Chicken is a total crowd pleaser and it is also amazing for weekly meal prep! You can easily put it over whatever you’d like and pack it for lunch – it heats up really well! My kids love it too. Even though there is a little siracha in it – it’s not spicy at all! In fact – I like to douse mine in siracha – as you can see from the photos! 🙂 Enjoy – and let me know what you think! We love it when you tag us in your photos!
Other Two Peas Recipes You May Love: