Shop This Post:
I know this post is long overdue. It’s been 6 weeks since I posted my last pregnancy update, but a lot has happened in those past 6 weeks – so I didn’t want to write until I had some answers.
The week before Thanksgiving, I had a routine “check up” with my doctor and the baby seemed to be “measuring small”. Now mind you – William was a HUGE baby. 8lbs 9oz to be exact – so hearing this news kind of scared me – a lot. That – combined with the uncertainty of my placenta situation – I was kind of a mess. Now… to be fair… this was entirely self inflicted… I’m a worst case scenario type of person by nature… and thankfully we’ve had a litany of sonograms and tests since then that have confirmed that everything is fine, my placenta is in a good position, and the baby is growing right on track.<<< All that matters.
However, it wasn’t fun, and I didn’t feel right writing about it without knowing fully what was going on. I didn’t want to jinx myself and the baby <<<< I know that sounds dumb, but I’m so superstitious and I just didn’t want to say anything until I got a few more answers.
Honestly, I think I’m just way more on edge this pregnancy. The way it began, the stress of life and work – and then having a little one at home — it’s a lot — and I think sometimes subconsciously the stress and the nerves have been getting to me. Anyhow – with that out in the open, I am happy to report that everything looks good – baby is still due the second week of February… and we are chugging right along!
Pregnancy Update: 31 Weeks
How many weeks: 31 weeks
Our baby is the size of: A coconut – and 3.5 pounds.
Gender: We’re having a boy – and we can’t wait!
Names: I am so back and forth – and I can’t decide. I walked into William’s nursery the other day and had such an overwhelming sense of guilt. We knew from the moment we found out William was a boy that we wanted to name him — William. Subsequently we had “William” monogrammed on everything – every basket, every blanket, every onesie… everything. This child – well it’s going to be different. If we get his bassinet out of storage on time – it will be a miracle. That being said, Joe and I are planning on spending this weekend finalizing a name – so hopefully next week – I’ll have a better answer.
Pounds Gained: 26 – I should be right on track to gain about 30-35lbs this pregnancy.
What I’m Wearing: I touched on this is in a post last week >>> here, and if you missed it… I created a capsule wardrobe for my work week. I was getting SO frustrated getting dressed every day, and this “wardrobe” has helped me – in so many ways. Feeling pulled together at 8 months pregnant is a feat in and of itself, so I know it’s working. If you did miss the post, I’ve selected my favorite items below — these are my tried and true pieces that are getting me through life right now. The leggings I’ve posted below are literally THE best leggings in the world – and under $30. And the first top in the “Tops” section is quite possibly the only thing getting me through life right now. I sized up and it allows me to still look pulled together and professional, even with this huge baby belly.
My Favorite Outfit (I wore it yesterday):
Things I forgot:
- I forgot how at the end – everyday tasks become hard to complete. Like – bending over to pick something up off the ground is nearly impossible.
- I forgot how amazing it is when you can feel what body part of theirs is kicking you. Our little man is head down (thank the lord) but that also means I can feel his little feet drumming against my ribs – kind of annoying in the middle of the night – but really, very cool.
- I forgot how uncomfortable sharing your body with another human can be. I threw out my back a couple weeks ago trying to swing William – that was fun. And another story… this baby is, as I said before, head down. <<< And thank the lord. For all of you who haven’t had a baby, or aren’t well versed in labor and delivery… that means I have a good chance of delivering naturally. << For me, that is a huge blessing. Anyhow, although he’s head down, he’s favoring the left side of my body, and has wedged his head into what feels like my left hip socket. Now I know this isn’t entirely possible – but it makes sitting at work absolutely horrific, and I end up sitting on my right butt cheek all day to counteract him. It’s crazy. Really. But pregnant is really crazy when you think about it.
- I forgot how – you’re never really ready. I remember feeling this way with William too, but we’re really getting down to the wire with this baby. People have babies at 30+ weeks all the time, so I’m panicking a little bit that the bassinet is still in our storage unit, and that the infant carseat needs to be washed after spending a winter – uncovered in our garage. <<<shhhhh… I don’t even want to think about it. :/ There is just a lot to do – and not a ton of time to do it.
- I’m giving total credit to my girlfriend, Therese, for this one. She instagrammed this meme when we were pregnant last time… and it really stuck with me. BUT… I forgot how at a certain point in pregnancy – you enter what I like to affectionately call – “the orangutan phase”. You can’t sit down without your boobs resting on your stomach… you just feel enormous… you just start to feel like this (below). It’s lovely… really… I promise. 🙂
Cravings: Chocolate everything – christmas cookies – and coffee. I’ve really been loving chocolate covered almonds, shortbread cookies, and my french press. <<< I do try to limit to 1-2 small cups a day.
Favorite products: My favorite products right now… are my dry shampoo, my belly oil, and my leggings.
Sleeping: Sleeping has been pretty horrendous – but – I just saw my OB and she said Benadryl is perfectly safe during pregnancy. So, on a night where I know I need a really good night’s sleep – I just take a Benadryl.
Rings: Still on!!!
Feelings: Feelings. Oh there are so many of them lately. I don’t really know where to begin.
- First and foremost, I’ve been feeling an overwhelming sense of gratitude for my friends and my family. Lately, I just feel like I’ve got THE best tribe and there’s really no better feeling than that. I am so excited to bring this little man into such a loving community of people – that makes me feel so, so, so thankful.
- On the other hand, I’ve also been feeling very overwhelmed – if you can’t tell from the beginning of this post. I think it’s normal this time of year. SO many of my girlfriends are feeling the same way. There’s just a lot going on. Anyone with me on this?!?
- As I touched on before I’ve also been feeling a huge sense of guilt lately. Guilt that I haven’t been spending enough time with William, guilt that we don’t have that much time before the baby comes, guilt that I haven’t been dedicating enough of myself here – or there – or wherever… there’s just a lot of guilt right now. For the most part, I’ve been doing well at pushing it aside and doing the best I can. BUT… I am going to work tirelessly at making these last two month with just William special. Even though he may not remember it…. Whatever. I’m excited to make more memories with just him before the baby arrives.
- Along with the feelings of guilt I’ve been feeling at home – comes the feeling of anxiety I feel at the workplace. In my opinion… working mothers really are in a “no-win” situation when it comes to maternity leave. *** This is just my opinion, primarily based on personal experience… so take it for what you will… I get that this is a hotTTT topic.*** Maternity leave – no matter how you look at it – always disappoints someone. If you stay at home for 18 weeks (or longer) with your newborn child… you may be doing right by your child… but your coworkers may think you’ve been on an 18 week “vacation” <<< this always makes me laugh… or worse, you may not have a job when you are ready to return to work. On the flip side… take a 2-4 week maternity leave… and you’re “letting your newborn child down”, you’re more susceptible to postpartum depression, childcare is literally IMPOSSIBLE to find, not to mention… society tells you, you’re an absolute monster. SO… as you can tell… my maternity leave is giving me some major, major, major anxiety right now, and I’m sure I’m not alone in feeling this way. I think many mothers struggle with this? Anyone?!?
- At the end of the day – I’m really just feeling grateful that this baby is healthy. I’ve been so stressed – over and over again – that something was wrong. Our last sonogram was really just a HUGE sense of relief… and at the end of the day… Joe and I are constantly reminding each other what a blessing this little guy is, and how lucky we are.
- I wanted to use this as a PSA of sorts. I wrote in a pregnancy update before that I was suffering from debilitating heartburn. Well – I was. After doing a little research and a little food journaling, I decided to cut out all tomato products from my diet – and you know what? Poof. Heartburn gone. I’m not saying it’ll work for everyone, but it worked for me – so… it’s worth a shot!
- As many of you know – we are in the process of completely gutting our master bedroom and bathroom. I am SO excited to show you guys the finished product – for more “behind the scenes” you can follow me on snapchat: Efarren …. But to the point, one of my coworkers was asking why the project is going so smoothly, and why we haven’t had any major setbacks – as is extremely common when doing home renovations. To be honest, our general contractor is just amazing… but I also like to think it has something to do with the fact that he doesn’t want to answer to an angry 31 Weeks pregnant- pregnant woman. <<< So I’m going to give myself credit here as well. 🙂
Anyhow – that is it for 31 Weeks. I’ll get back to regularly posting these… and if I get reallllllll brave, you might even see a “real belly” shot in one of these posts sometime soon. <<< Not promising anything… but maybe. 🙂 Thank you for all your love and support throughout this pregnancy… it really means the world to me… and I appreciate it more than I can say.