The kind of recipes I love most… are recipes that don’t require any measuring. This recipe is one we’ve been making for years. It is just SO stinking easy. I made chicken breasts in the crock pot last week with enchilada sauce, and mentioned that I love cooking chicken like that. Immediately we were flooded with DMs asking me how I use the chicken later in the week. I figured now is the perfect time to share this recipe and some other easy meal ideas using this slow cooked enchilada sauce chicken!
FYI – chicken breasts cooked in the crockpot is one of THE easiest ways to make flavorful and hassle free meals. I throw chicken breasts and salsa verde in the crockpot, you can use red salsa, whatever you want practically!
Emily’s Easy Enchilada Casserole:
- 1 large pack of chicken breasts (we did 8)
- 2 large cans of enchilada sauce
- Shredded cheese
- Flour tortillas (you can also use corn)
- The night before – place chicken breasts (we did 8) and 1 can of the enchilada sauce into the crockpot. Just be sure the liquid is covering the chicken breasts. If it is not, add some chicken stock or water so that the breasts are covered.
- Cook on low for 8-12 hours. We let our crockpot go overnight, but if you’re not comfortable with that, just start it first thing in the AM.
- After the chicken is done cooking it should literally fall apart. You can pull it with a fork if need be.
- Gather your ingredients, tortillas, cheese, chicken, and remaining can of enchilada sauce.
- Spoon some enchilada sauce on the bottom of your baking pan (this will keep the tortillas from sticking)
- Place two tortillas over the sauce, then layer on your shredded chicken, cheese, enchilada sauce (you don’t need a ton), and then repeat.
- After the second layer, you want to top the casserole with two tortillas, sauce and cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake at 350 degrees f0r 45 minutes.
- I like to then uncover and cook for 10 more minutes.
- We like to serve ours with a salad and rice with lime and cilantro!
With the remaining pulled chicken, we like to make:
- Enchilada Chicken Salad: We put the chicken over greens, add some corn and black beans, sprinkle cotija cheese over the top, crush some tortilla chips, then add a squeeze of lime… and whatever dressing you choose.
- Chicken Quesadillas
- Chicken Burritos
- Chicken Paninis
- We put the chicken in scrambles in the morning
Shop The Post: