This is my favorite recipe for fluffy Valentine’s Day Sugar Cookies! We make these sugar cookies for most holidays, and I just can’t get enough! This recipe makes super soft, buttery, and fluffy sugar cookies… so buttery that they almost taste like shortbread. MMMmmmm. THEY ARE SOOO AMAZING!!!
Shop Valentine’s Day Sugar Cookies:
A couple of FYIs:
- If you like really thin crispy sugar cookies (my mom is one of these people) then these cookies are probably not for you! Just keeping it real.
- These cookies are amazing on their own – but with the sweet almond cream cheese frosting they are even better.
- I love them for dessert, but I REALLY love them with coffee in the morning! 🙂
- You can make the dough ahead of time and freeze it – just be sure to thaw for a day or so. I love making the dough ahead of time and then letting my kids do the cutting and the decorating!
- This recipe makes enough fluffy sugar cookies for A CROWD. When we use small cookie cutters we can get at least 50 cookies out of it!
I hope you love this recipe as much as I do! Enjoy!!!
Valentine’s Day Sugar Cookies:
Fluffy Sugar Cookie Dough:
2 Cups Unsalted Butter at room temp: I know this is weird, but I like my cookies a little salty, so I actually use salted butter. Really, it is whatever you prefer.
2 Cups Sugar
2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
4 Teaspoons Almond Extract: (you can use less – but I LOVE the almond flavor – also if you have a nut allergy, you can just omit the almond extract all together!
7 Cups of flour
6 Teaspoons Baking Powder: (this is what makes them fluffy, it is SO important!)
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Cup Room Temp Unsalted butter
1 Cup Room Temp Cream Cheese (1 pack)
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
2 Teaspoons Almond Extract
1-1.5 Cups Powdered Sugar: Depending on how sweet you like your frosting!
For The Cookie Dough:
- Mix the room temperature butter, the eggs, and the sugar together on low.
- I use our KitchenAid mixer with the paddle attachment
- Next, add in the almond and vanilla extracts
- Add in the baking powder and salt – mix slowly
- Add in the flour – one cup of flour at a time – and mix slowly.
- Let the dough rest in the fridge for an hour at least – this prevents the dough from spreading when you bake your cookies!
- After an hour roll out the dough, pretty thick, and cut your Valentine’s Day sugar cookies
- Bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes.
- Let cool completely before frosting
For The Frosting:
- Mix the butter and cream cheese in your mixer – on low
- Add in the almond and vanilla extracts – mix
- I like to sift my powdered sugar before adding so we don’t get lumps, but you don’t have to
- Add in the powdered sugar – mix on low until incorporated
- Frost cookies and decorate with sugars and candies!